Shower Thoughts About Changing Future. When people think about travelling to the past, they worry about accidentally changing the present, but no one in the present really thinks they can radically change the future. Final score: 33 points. Find 130 ways to say THOUGHT, along with antonyms, related words, and example sentences at Thesaurus.com, the world's most trusted free thesaurus.
Mind & Mood
- By Kelly Bilodeau, Executive Editor, Harvard Women's Health Watch
Disturbing thoughts that pop into your mind unbidden may make you feel uneasy, but they are common — and there are strategies you can use to manage them.
It seems to come out of nowhere — a strange, disturbing thought or a troubling image that pops into your mind. It might be violent or sexual, or a recurring fear that you’ll do something inappropriate or embarrassing. Whatever the content, it’s often unsettling and may bring on feelings of worry or shame. The more you try to push the thought from your mind, the more it persists.
Intrusive thoughts, as these are called, are thought to affect some six million Americans, according to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America.
- DECLUTTERING YOUR THOUGHTS. Resolve what you can – Share your feelings & pain, listen to their perspective, offer/ask for forgiveness, and discuss the future of the relationship. DOWNLOAD THE DECLUTTER YOUR MIND PDF FOR FREE! Posted: By: Paul Minors.
- Thoughts quite literally are things since they lay the foundation for any type of life we might decide to lead. If you’re serious about achieving your goals and accomplishing anything worth noting in life, then you have to leverage the power of your thoughts by shifting your thinking.
Sometimes intrusive thoughts are associated with a mental health disorder, such as obsessive-compulsive disorder, where thoughts become so bothersome that they prompt repetitive behaviors or compulsions to try to prevent them from occurring. They are also common in post-traumatic stress disorder, which can be triggered by a life-threatening or extremely stressful event, such as an accident or violent attack. But many people who experience these thoughts don’t have a mental health disorder, says Dr. Kerry-Ann Williams, a lecturer in psychiatry at Harvard Medical School.
Intrusive thoughts are often triggered by stress or anxiety. They may also be a short-term problem brought on by biological factors, such as hormone shifts. For example, a woman might experience an uptick in intrusive thoughts after the birth of a child.
'Any life stressor, if big enough, can increase your risk of having intrusive thoughts,' says Dr. Williams.
Periods of stress and isolation
These days many women have experienced significant stress from the isolation caused by the pandemic, says Dr. Olivera Bogunovic, an assistant professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School. Anxiety symptoms may also commonly occur as women transition to a different stage of their life. They may become more isolated, or develop a fear of aging or of developing physical ailments, she says. This can lead to an uptick in anxiety, and in some instances, obsessive thinking.
While intrusive thoughts may be disturbing, they aren’t harmful or a sign that you have a secret desire to do the things that popped into your mind.
People are often too embarrassed or ashamed to talk about it, says Dr. Williams. 'A lot of times when patients bring it up to me, they might preface it with something like, ‘I’m not crazy, but this weird thought comes into my mind,’' she says. 'They might think about hurting a family member, such as a baby. When the thought happens, they’re horrified—‘I can’t even believe that came into my mind. I shouldn’t tell anyone; they might think something is wrong with me.’'
Identifying intrusive thoughts
So, how can you tell if you are experiencing intrusive thoughts? There are some signs to look for.
The thought is unusual for you. An intrusive thought is usually very different from your typical thoughts. 'For example, it might be uncharacteristically violent,' says Dr. Williams.
The thought is bothersome. If a thought is disturbing and it’s something you want to push out of your mind, it might be an intrusive thought.
The thought feels hard to control. Intrusive thoughts are often repetitive and won’t go away.
'The more you think about it, the more anxious you get and the worse the thoughts get,' says Dr. Williams. Instead of fighting intrusive thoughts, it’s better to learn to live with them. When these thoughts emerge, try taking the following steps:
1. Identify the thought as intrusive. 'Think to yourself, ‘that’s just an intrusive thought; it’s not how I think, it’s not what I believe, and it’s not what I want to do,’' says Dr. Williams.
2. Don’t fight with it. When you have an intrusive thought, just accept it. 'Don’t try to make it go away.'
3. Don’t judge yourself. Know that having a strange or disturbing thought doesn’t indicate that something is wrong with you.
When to seek help
See a mental health professional if unwanted thoughts are starting to disrupt your daily life, particularly if they’re impairing your ability to work or to do things you enjoy. However, even if intrusive thoughts aren’t affecting your life in a significant way, you can still see someone to get help.
Cognitive behavioral therapy is one strategy that is often successful in helping people manage intrusive thoughts. The process may help you to shift some of your general thought patterns, which can enable you to better manage these thoughts when they do occur and might lessen their frequency.
Intrusive thoughts can also be managed by addressing the underlying problem, such as anxiety, stress, or a personal history of trauma. While it may be helpful to share the particular thoughts you are having, keep in mind that even if you aren’t comfortable talking about them in detail, a therapist can still help. Women should also know that intrusive thoughts typically respond well to therapy, says Dr. Bogunovic.
'Keep in mind that you might not need help forever,' says Dr. Williams. 'It may be a very short-term thing.'Image: © Aleutie/Getty Images
As a service to our readers, Harvard Health Publishing provides access to our library of archived content. Please note the date of last review or update on all articles. No content on this site, regardless of date, should ever be used as a substitute for direct medical advice from your doctor or other qualified clinician.
Inspirational and motivational quotes can help us create a positive outlook on life and work when we need it most. They do so by harnessing thepower of positive thinking. Reframing our brains to think positively is a key step in leading a happy and successful life.
You make a choice when you decide how you will react to any given situation. If you’re choosing (sometimes subconsciously) to complain and think negatively, your natural reaction will be to dwell on the negatives of every situation.
When you actively choose to think positively, however, you turn the situation into a development plan for growth, helping you become a better problem-solver and leader. Over time and after reframing your mind to think positively about problems, you’ll feel motivated, inspired, and empowered to take on any challenge that comes your way!
While reading through this list, I recommend writing down some of the inspirational quotes that stick out to you. After writing them down, read them out loud, and really try to understand their meaning.
You may find these quotes to come in handy when you’re having a hard day and need a little extra encouragement and motivation!
Looking for something in particular? Jump to the exact quotes you’re looking for:
Table of Contents
From short quotes and widely relatable anecdotes to quotes specifically about work and life in general, here is a list of my favorite inspirational quotes.
Good Inspirational Quotes
1. “We become what we think about” – Earl Nightingale
A reminder that positive thinking helps you frame your mindset and change your life, spoken by the author of, “Essence of Success.”
2. “People who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.”- Rob Siltanen
Thoughts & Feelings (summary) Pdf Free Download Windows 10
Rob is a leading creative marketer responsible for some of the most effective and iconic advertising campaigns of the past 30 years.
3. “Optimism is the one quality more associated with success and happiness than any other.”- Brian Tracy
Let your positivity and optimism inspire you and lead you to success. That’s my favorite way to achieve success.
4. “Happiness is not something readymade. It comes from your own actions.”-Dalai Lama
A visionary among us, the Dalai Lama always has something inspiring to share.
5. “All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.”- Walt Disney
This inspirational quote comes from the man who created the happiest place on earth – and a multibillion-dollar empire.
6. “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” Winston Churchill
When it comes to inspirational, encouraging quotes by successful people, Winston Churchill’s words of wisdom always make my list.
7. “Believe you can and you’re halfway there.” Theodore Roosevelt
Coming from the youngest person to become the US president, Teddy really lived by what he said.
15 Questions to Ask Yourself to Stay Motivated During Tough Times
8. “I can’t change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.” – Jimmy Dean
American country singer turned breakfast food entrepreneur, this man knew a thing or two about adjusting his sails to a new course.
9. “Move out of your comfort zone. You can only grow if you are willing to feel awkward and uncomfortable when you try something new.”- Brian Tracy
Life only changes when you decide to change. It may not be comfortable or easy, but it sure is worth it.
10. “It is our attitude at the beginning of a difficult task which, more than anything else, will affect its successful outcome.” – William James
The American philosopher and psychologist William James was the first educator to offer a psychology course in the United States. He knew it was the beginning of a difficult task that ultimately led to a successful outcome.
11. “You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” – C.S. Lewis
Famous British scholar and author C.S. Lewis began writing the “The Chronicles of Narnia” series when he was 51 years old.
12. “We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us.” – Joseph Campbell
This quote comes from Joseph Campbell, an American Literature professor. His literary work covers many aspects of the human experience.
13. “Everything you’ve ever wanted is on the other side of fear.”- George Addair
Fear is powerful. It often bears the façade of protection, keeping us from doing things that may harm us. But sometimes, the real harm comes from the inaction that fear enables.
Short Inspirational Quotes
14. “You get what you give.” – Jennifer Lopez
The iconic actress, singer, and dancer Jennifer Lopez gave it her all, and look how far she rose!
15. “Your life only gets better when you get better.”- Brian Tracy
You experience external change only once you change internally. Start today and watch how everything around you begins to change!
16. “Happiness is not by chance, but by choice.” – Jim Rohn
American entrepreneur, author, and motivational speaker Jim Rohn decided to follow a different path in life after attending a lecture given by entrepreneur John Earl Shoaff. Within just six years, Rohn earned his first fortune.
17. “Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”- Mahatma Ghandi
Probably the most quoted man on Earth, Ghandi’s famous words are embedded into our culture and society.
18. “If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way.” – Martin Luther King Jr.
A revolutionary, Martin Luther King Jr. made it his mission to change the world with his great words and actions.
19. “We generate fears while we sit. We overcome them by action.” – Dr. Henry Link
Famous psychologist Dr. Henry Link understood how the human mind tends to overthink and how we can fight against it.
20. “Today’s accomplishments were yesterday’s impossibilities.” – Robert H. Schuller
A motivational speaker, Robert H. Schuller inspires people to consider how the work they put in today will show up for them tomorrow.
21. “Light tomorrow with today!” – Elizabeth Barrett Browning
22. “The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today.” – Franklin D. Roosevelt
23. “Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you.” – Walt Whitman
24. “The bad news is time flies. The good news is you’re the pilot.” – Michael Altshuler
25. “Never limit yourself because of others’ limited imagination; never limit others because of your own limited imagination.” – Mae Jemison
26. “Let us make our future now, and let us make our dreams tomorrow’s reality.” – Malala Yousafzai
Inspirational Quotes About Life
27. “Don’t Let Yesterday Take Up Too Much Of Today.” – Will Rogers
28. “For every reason it’s not possible, there are hundreds of people who have faced the same circumstances and succeeded.” – Jack Canfield
29. “We may encounter many defeats but we must not be defeated.” – Maya Angelou
30. “You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”― Mae West
31. “In three words I can sum up everything I’ve learned about life: it goes on.”― Robert Frost
32. “Life is what happens to us while we are making other plans.”― Allen Saunders
33. “I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be. ― Douglas Adams
34. “Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”― George Bernard Shaw
35. “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”― Albert Einstein
36. “Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less.” ― Marie Curie
37. “You are the sum total of everything you’ve ever seen, heard, eaten, smelled, been told, forgot ― it’s all there. Everything influences each of us, and because of that I try to make sure that my experiences are positive.” ― Maya Angelou
Inspirational Quotes for Work
Check out my blog “20 Leadership Quotes For Great Leaders” for more quotes!
38. The best way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing.” ― Walt Disney
39. “Leaders never use the word failure. They look upon setbacks as learning experiences.” – Brian Tracy
40. “There are no limits to what you can accomplish, except the limits you place on your own thinking.” – Brian Tracy
41. “Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago.” – Warren Buffet
42. “The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.” – Winston Churchill
43. “You learn more from failure than from success. Don’t let it stop you. Failure builds character.” – Unknown
44. “If you are working on something that you really care about, you don’t have to be pushed. The vision pulls you.” – Steve Jobs
45. “Entrepreneurs are great at dealing with uncertainty and also very good at minimizing risk. That’s the classic entrepreneur.” – Mohnish Pabrai
Identify and Harness Your Most Powerful Motivations to Achieve Full Potential
46. “The man who has confidence in himself gains the confidence of others.” – Hasidic Proverb
47. “What you lack in talent can be made up with desire, hustle and giving 110% all the time.” – Don Zimmer
48. “Fake it until you make it! Act as if you had all the confidence you require until it becomes your reality.” – Brian Tracy
49. “I think goals should never be easy, they should force you to work, even if they are uncomfortable at the time.” – Michael Phelps
50. “The only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking. Don’t settle.” – Steve Jobs
51. “Leaders think and talk about the solutions. Followers think and talk about the problems.” – Brian Tracy
Motivational quotes are meant to inspire action. These quotes have the potential to encourage you to become the best version of yourself. Read them when you need a push to work towards your goals. These quotes are here to help motivate you to reach your peak performance.
Whether you’re looking for the motivation and inspiration towrite your first book,become a better speaker, or simply start a new project, these motivational quotes can provide the support you need to get started. And just getting started is the key, remember the 80/20 rule and go after the things that will produce the most results first. And always remember, your motivation, determination, and hard work will lead to your success in work and in life.
Good Motivational Quotes
52. “Integrity is the most valuable and respected quality of leadership. Always keep your word.” – Brian Tracy
53. “Leaders set high standards. Refuse to tolerate mediocrity or poor performance.” – Brian Tracy
54. “The key responsibility of leadership is to think about the future. No one else can do it for you.” – Brian Tracy
55. “The effective leader recognizes that they are more dependent on their people than they are on them. Walk softly. ” – Brian Tracy
56. “Practice golden rule management in everything you do. Manage others the way you would like to be managed.” – Brian Tracy
57. “Leaders are anticipatory thinkers. They consider all consequences of their behaviors before they act.” – Brian Tracy
58. “The true test of leadership is how well you function in a crisis.”- Brian Tracy
59. “The three ‘C’s’ of leadership are consideration, caring, and courtesy. Be polite to everyone.” – Brian Tracy
60. “Respect is the key determinant of high-performance leadership. How much people respect you determines how well they perform.” – Brian Tracy
61. “Entrepreneurial leadership requires the ability to move quickly when opportunity presents itself.” – Brian Tracy
62. “Leaders are innovative, entrepreneurial, and future-oriented. They focus on getting the job done.”- Brian Tracy
63. “Leaders are never satisfied; they continually strive to be better.” – Brian Tracy
64. “Leadership is the ability to get extraordinary achievement from ordinary people.” – Brian Tracy
65. “The best leaders have a high consideration factor. They really care about their people.” – Brian Tracy
Motivational Quotes for Work
66. “Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right..” – Henry Ford
67. “Security is mostly a superstition. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.” – Helen Keller
68. “Creativity is intelligence having fun.” – Albert Einstein
69. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Wishing is not enough; we must do.” – Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
70. “Develop an ‘attitude of gratitude.’ Say thank you to everyone you meet for everything you do.” – Brian Tracy
71. “To see what is right and not do is a lack of courage.” – Confucius
15 Questions to Ask Yourself to Stay Motivated During Tough Times
72. “Reading is to the mind, as exercise is to the body.” – Brian Tracy
73. “A room without books is like a body without a soul.” – Marcus Tullius Cicero
74. “You’ve got to get up every morning with determination if you’re going to go to bed with satisfaction.” —George Lorimer F
Sympathy Messages Thoughts And Prayers
75. “Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you’ll be able to see further.” —Thomas Carlyle
76. “Your talent determines what you can do. Your motivation determines how much you’re willing to do. Your attitude determines how well you do it.” —Lou Holtz
As we know, the power of positive thinking is remarkable. When you think of something that brings you joy, your brain actually releases endorphins. Those endorphins fill you with the feeling of well-being.
But when we feel down, it’s often difficult to conjure up things that make us happy. That’s why having some positive quotes on hand can be helpful in situations like that. These positive motivational quotes are encouraging and can help lift your spirit.
Consider writing down daily inspirational quotes and affirmations and say them out loud to yourself. Through repetition and consistency, you can rewire your brain to think positively in any situation.
Use this list of positive quotes to aid in the release of your endorphins and rewire your mind to a state of joy and well-being.
Positive Life Quotes
77. “You learn more from failure than from success. Don’t let it stop you. Failure builds character.” – Unknown
78. “It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get back up.” –Vince Lombardi
79. “Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.” – Og Mandino
80. “Do what you can with all you have, wherever you are.” – Theodore Roosevelt
81. “One of the lessons that I grew up with was to always stay true to yourself and never let what somebody else says distract you from your goals.” – Michelle Obama
82. “You don’t have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great.” – Zig Ziglar
83. “Folks are usually about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” – Abraham Lincoln
84. “If you don’t like the road you’re walking, start paving another one.” – Dolly Parton
85. “The happiness of your life depends on the quality of your thoughts.” – Marcus Aurelius
86. “Things work out best for those who make the best of how things work out.” – John Wooden
87. “My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive.” – Maya Angelou
88. “Make your life a masterpiece, imagine no limitations on what you can be, have, or do.” – Brian Tracy
89. “Life changes very quickly, in a very positive way, if you let it.” – Lindsey Vonn
90. “Inspiration comes from within yourself. One has to be positive. When you’re positive, good things happen.” – Deep Roy
Short Positive Quotes
91. “Change the world by being yourself.“ – Amy Poehler
92. “Every moment is a fresh beginning.” – T.S Eliot
93. “Never regret anything that made you smile.” – Mark Twain
94. “There is no substitute for hard work.” – Thomas Edison
95. “May your choices reflect your hopes, not your fears.” – Nelson Mandela
96. “Turn your wounds into wisdom.” – Oprah Winfrey
97. “Change the game, don’t let the game change you.” – Macklemore
98. “It hurt because it mattered.” – John Green
99. “Imagine your life is perfect in every respect; what would it look like?” – Brian Tracy
100. “The future belongs to the competent. Get good, get better, be the best!” – Brian Tracy
Live By These Inspirational Quotes
Thanks for reading my favorite inspirational quotes. I hope you found them to be both motivating and encouraging, as well. Use these inspirational words whenever you feel like you need a boost. These motivational and inspirational quotes can guide you through any challenge and allow you to face any situation head-on.
These positive motivational quotes can also push you towards progress and help you accomplish the goals you create for yourself. Use them as daily motivation to help train your mind to think positively and as affirmations to boost your endorphins.
Jot them down, read them aloud, and bookmark them! I also encourage you to share them with a friend or family member who is looking for inspiration. Consider sharing your favorite quotes from this list on Facebook and Instagram!
If you’re ready for actionable steps to stay motivated after reading these quotes, check out my15 Questions to Stay Motivated. These questions will help you identify your most powerful motivations and harness them to achieve your full potential. Use these questions alongside the quotes and notice how differently you approach problems. You’ll be able to see real personal development.
Editor’s Note: This post was updated in 2021 with additional motivational quotes
Deep Thoughts By Jack Handey
« Previous Post
How to Measure Your Personal Growth GoalsNext Post »
SMART Goals 101: Examples, Templates and Worksheets
About Brian Tracy — Brian is recognized as the top sales training and personal success authority in the world today. He has authored more than 60 books and has produced more than 500 audio and video learning programs on sales, management, business success and personal development, including worldwide bestseller The Psychology of Achievement. Brian's goal is to help you achieve your personal and business goals faster and easier than you ever imagined. You can follow him on Google+, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, Linkedin and Youtube.